Friday, April 03, 2009

Looking for a new muse...

So it has been a while since my last post. Part of the reason is that Facebook has become my defacto social networking medium (updated largely via Twitter @stoneddragon). But the bigger reason is that after a long, and I do mean long, political season (pretty much since I started blogging) I'm a bit tired of looking at the world through the political lens.

Soooooooooo, what to write about now....

The funniest thing that happened to me on my last trip to Athens occurred in a cab ride from the hotel on morning. The cab driver, a boisterous, smiling brute of an Athenian with an over-the-top love for dance club music, made me a bet. If I could name the statue of the American president we pass on our route, he'd only charge us half for the cab ride. He was momentarily flabbergasted when I glanced at the statue as we were driving by and said, "Harry Truman".

"A hundred times I ask Americans who and you the first to get it right!" he said, slapping my knee and yelling out the window, "Harry Truman". According to our cabbie, Truman is immortalized in stone because "he sent a big ship full of money to Greece after the war so we could rebuild." I tried to tell him about George Marshall and the ERP, but our cabbie wasn't as good a listener than he was a talker. Of course, I learned later that the big ship of money was not the source of the Truman statue but rather an anti-communism memorial paid for by a Greek-American. Huh, go figure.

No comments: